Sunday, October 8, 2017

Week 2 Blog Forum

Topic 1

My Photographer of the week choice is Neil Leifer. His claim to fame is being known for taking some of the most iconic photos in sports history. He photographed "The Greatest Game ever Played" between the Colts and the Giants in the NFL title game in 1958. He worked for Sports Illustrated and Time Magazine. Leifer also photographed seven Olympic games throughout his career. I'd say the thing that most stands out in his photographs is his ability to capture the emotion or feeling from a sporting event.

Topic 2

So far, reading the book I am incredibly moved by what Addario, as a photo journalist, has gone through. I can't imagine being smack dab in the middle of a war zone and also trying to capture the experience on camera. Her story is both engaging and inspiring and I love that she sprinkles her amazing photos throughout the book so that we can look at them first hand. My favorite photo from the book so far is the bottom photo on page four of the a rebel fighter consoling his wounded comrade outside of a hospital. The reason I like the photo is because it captures the emotion of the circumstances so well. I'd say the biggest lesson I can learn from the book is to be fearless. Like I obviously won't be taking pictures of a warzone, but it puts things in perspective when I may be nervous or embarrassed to take photos. I have no reason to be afraid when their are people actually covering wars. My favorite quote definitely has to be on page 22 "When I return home and rationally consider the risks, the choices are difficult. But when I am doing my work, I am alive and I am me. It's what I do. I am sure there are other versions of happiness, but this one is mine." The reason I like the quote is because it encapsulates what photography means to Addario. It's poetic and it very inspiring.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Photo J Assignment #9: Photo Story

Isaac Newton (Right),  Director of the student run production of "The Acor's Nightmare" consults with actor Jake T...